EMAIL DETAILS
SUBJECT:
Baltimore Collegiate: Delay
PRI: NORMAL
FROM:
B
betsey_hobelmann@yahoo.com
DATE:
2014-02-13 22:03:49
MSG_ID:
<1392329029.31405.YahooMailNeo@web142405.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
RECIPIENTS:
TO:
C
Chike Aguh
<chike.aguh@gmail.com>
E
Ed Trusty
<etrusty@calvertschoolmd.org>
G
ghengerer@mdattorney.com
H
Hunter Biden
<hbiden@rosemontseneca.com>
I
ILYA A.
<ialter@gmail.com>
J
Jack Pannell
<jjpannell@gmail.com>
K
Kimberly Moffitt
<kmoffitt@umbc.edu>
M
Matt Micciche
<mmiccich@friendsbalt.org>
CONTENT:
TEXT: YES |
HTML: YES
PROCESSED
Dear Colleagues, We are writing with news that is challenging, sobering and perhaps "really good." On Tuesday evening, Tisha Edwards contacted us with news that she had discussed our readiness to open with the School Board in a private session. She wrote: "they [School Board} share my concerns about the readiness for Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys to open in Aug. 2014. At this point, I am considering two options either to delay the opening or to revoke the charter. I hope that you and your Board will voluntarily agree to the delayed opening." Since this communication, we have been negotiating for several conditions necessary to our acceptance of the delay option. They include: 1) the appointment of and funding for our principal in a full-time, planning year position from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015; 2) a process to recruit and hire (with offers that would be effective July 1, 2015) teachers we are presently recruiting; and 3) an opportunity to communicate directly with families that applied through the school choice process (approximately 150 families who chose BCSB as a first or second choice), before North Avenue informs them of the delay. We have also asked North Avenue to explore how we could reserve seats for 4th and 5th grade families. It's clear that our opportunity to open Collegiate this school year was somehow taken off the table. Since our meeting with Tisha on Feb. 4th, we were diligently working on developing a partnership with the Bard Early College folks and preparing to present our curriculum plans again. Chike Aguh, Jack and I had our first conversation with Bard earlier this afternoon. It looks promising. Jack is preparing a formal letter to request a delay in the opening of the school by one year. This will kick off a process to make modifications to our contract. The modified contract will likely be presented to the School Board on February 25th. When the letter is completed, we will circulate it for your approval via email. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me or Jack. Very sincerely, Bets
METADATA:
THREAD:
INDEX:
Adhhnjp+m4vgBGcVQcCnm+yPoIeEyg==