EMAIL DETAILS
SUBJECT:
Bombshells in NBN documents - Gillard government must pass - Australian
PRI: NORMAL
FROM:
M
mandrews@ips.edu
DATE:
2010-11-03 18:56:45
MSG_ID:
<FF4655AE-2E83-48AF-BD99-7834AC42EB02@ips.edu>
RECIPIENTS:
TO:
C
Curtis Hastings
<curt@ips.edu>
D
Devon Archer
<darcher@rosemontseneca.com>
E
Eric Schwerin
<eschwerin@rosemontseneca.com>
H
Hunter Biden
<hbiden@rosemontseneca.com>
N
Neil Callahan
<ncallahan@rosemontseneca.com>
CONTENT:
TEXT: YES |
HTML: YES
PROCESSED
Bombshells in NBN documents EXCLUSIVE: Annabel Hepworth and Mitchell Bingemann From:The Australian November 04, 201012:00AM Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share THE Gillard government must urgently pass legislation to smash apart Telstra's near-monopoly position for the implementation of the $43bn NBN to proceed. This has been revealed by previously secret documents. A brief to the incoming government, obtained by The Australian under Freedom of Information laws, also makes the explosive revelation that NBN Co abandoned its support for key recommendations from the $25 million implementation study on the NBN. Despite NBN Co being "heavily involved" in the McKinsey-KPMG study, the briefing says that "significant differences" emerged over the recommendations relating to the design of the high-speed broadband network and the nature of the prices and products that NBN Co will offer to customers. The revelation could shed light on the government's failure to release its response to 84 recommendations in the implementation study, despite Treasury making an "early priority" of responding to the study. Related Coverage DEAL: Outstanding bill is threat Outstanding bill threat to deal The Australian, 5 hours ago Rollout looking more like a Ponzi scheme The Australian, 9 days ago Just 1 in 10 opt to take up NBN The Australian, 21 Oct 2010 NBN bill at risk of $1bn blowout Perth Now, 13 Oct 2010 Customers may be forced on to NBN The Australian, 11 Oct 2010 The office of Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has been saying for months that the government would release the response "shortly". The documents also highlight the massive funding task to roll out the network, confirming that the government would provide $26bn in equity funding. This is likely to be largely done through commonwealth-issued debt, leading to interest costs that would have a "negative impact on the budget bottom line", the briefing states. Slabs of the documents released by Senator Conroy's department were blacked out. The documents would have gone to the minister soon after the election but there was no date on those released. The briefing paper stresses the urgency of acting swiftly on the NBN. The government has been told that the laws to structurally separate Telstra must be passed during the spring sitting of parliament, due to finish on November 25. Telstra has agreed to structural separation -- splitting its wholesale from its retail arm -- as part of its $11bn non-binding deal with the NBN Co. The laws were re-introduced to parliament on October 20. Although there is now broad support for elements of the bill that deal with structural separation, a dearth of detail on the costings of the network have hindered the government's aims in getting the support to push the bill over the line. Senator Conroy has been frustrated by what he claims is an attempt by the opposition to delay the bill. He has previously warned that its failure to pass could result in cost and timeline blow-outs for the NBN. The bulk of the telecommunications industry has said that building an NBN without first overhauling the regulatory system could jeopardise the project. According to the briefing: "The passage of this legislation will drive the timing of Telstra and NBN Co being able to finalise a deal." Telstra chief executive David Thodey told investors at the company's annual strategy day in late September that passage of the law was fundamental to getting the deal approved by the board and shareholders. He said the law needed to be passed between October and next March so that shareholders could vote on the deal before its deadline of next June. Legislation requiring new property projects to be "fibre-ready" also needs to be passed "as early as possible" during the upcoming parliamentary sitting, the brief says. These new arrangements are supposed to take effect on January 1 and property developers have warned that their work on new construction has been plagued by uncertainty. According to the documents, issues needing to be resolved include when NBN Co can start seeking contributions from developers in "particularly high-cost situations". Other legislation setting up core aspects of NBN Co's role -- including relating to its ownership and governance -- should be passed this session. Another area where the briefing calls for urgency is in the release of a long-term digital economy strategy, noting that the government pledged a raft of e-health initiatives during the election campaign. It warns that the government risks being criticised unless it has funded initiatives and says that "most serious funding activity can only be dealt with by user portfolios: health, education, etc". On the matter of NBN Co having departed from the findings of the implementation study, the briefing specifies the contentious question of the number of interconnection points through which retail service providers can access the broadband network. There have been recent tense talks between the NBN Co, Telstra and the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission over the matter, which led to an ACCC discussion paper late last month. The documents suggest a tension between boosting competition and making the roll-out cost effective. Many telcos are threatening to seek compensation if the plan leaves their assets "stranded". Additional reporting: Sid Mah
METADATA:
THREAD:
INDEX:
Adhhot4hLJlZH5tAQSSMDCbTES7y/Q==